Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Meatballs are the most delicious combination of Mexican and Italian flavors! Served over rice, these are a big hit in our house!
This post has been done in collaboration with Dairy Pure. As always, all opinions are my own.
Are you experiencing rapid season changes like we are? One day it is 70 degrees (which never happens in February in PA!) and the next day, we have snow. I cannot keep up with the weather here and it makes it so hard to cook! I want to break out some light spring dishes, but it still seems more appropriate to be cooking comfort food. These Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Meatballs are perfect for this time of the year. Warm and comforting, but light enough that they are spring worthy as well!
Mexican flavors are always a favorite here. I know that no one will be disappointed whenever I say it is taco night. I love to mix things up though and not always make the same beef tacos. We love these oven baked ones and these potato and poblano ones are definitely my own personal favorite. I also have a go to enchilada recipe that I really need to share here on the blog, I just can’t seem to get a good photo of them though! Until then, these Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Meatballs are a great substitute for that recipe! I have to say…I may even like these more!
I have a secret ingredient in my meatballs that I use as a base for any meatball that I am making…milk. Years ago I saw a trick on the Food Network for how to make the perfect meatball. You soak bread in milk and then add the soggy bread to the meat mixture in order to keep things moist as they cook. I have been doing this ever since and always love how my meatballs turn out!
I used DairyPure brand in this recipe and love that their milk is hormone free, tested for antibiotics, and comes from cows who are fed a healthy diet!
I used ground chicken for these but you can definitely substitute beef or turkey. I love the mildness of the chicken and how it allows the delicious enchilada flavors to shine through. As a short cut, use store bought enchilada sauce. Homemade is of course better, but I don’t have time for it to simmer on a weeknight! I like to spice up the store bought sauce with a little chili powder and garlic powder just to give it more flavor.
I am sure that your family will love these Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Meatballs! I hope they grace your table the next time you are hungry for Mexican but need a break from tacos!
- For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheese, colby or monteray jack
- 1 slice of bread soaked in 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- For the sauce and topping:
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded monteray jack cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
- Add all the meatball ingredients but the milk soaked bread to a medium mixing bowl.
- Break apart the bread into crumbles and add to the meat mixture.
- Mix well with your hands until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Mix meat mixture into 12-14 heaping tablespoons and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While meatballs cook, add enchilada sauce to a sauce pan and heat over low. When meatballs are done cooking, add them to the warm sauce. Simmer over low heat for half an hour to finish cooking the meatballs.
- When ready to serve, top with additional cheese and let cook until melted. Top with tortilla strips and green onions and any additional toppings you'd like, sour cream, salsa, etc.
For more information on DairyPure and their Five-Point Purity Promise go here!