Easy and Healthy Zucchini Tots are the perfect way to use your large bounty of garden zucchini! This is the best easy and healthy zucchini side dish recipe!
Easy and Healthy Zucchini Tots for the win! Guys, you must love zucchini as much as I do because this Zucchini Tots post is one of my all time most popular. It was my first recipe to go viral on Pinterest, so it holds a special place in my heart as one of my favorite posts. It could use a little TLC though. I didn’t write much in the original post, nor did I include many pictures. So this new updated post has photos of a new shaping method. The muffin pan method is quicker, but I like the football shape as well to change it up some. The football shapes also resemble a tater tot more, so if you are trying to convince your kid they are taters, then try that method!
This recipe makes a ton and you will need a big baking sheet for all the tots! I love how this big one bakes them up nice an crispy!
Although the original photos aren’t great (someone needed to teach me about white balance!!) I am keeping this one because so many of you have loved the muffin pan ones! It also serves as a great reminder to me and every beginning blogger that your photography WILL improve with some hard work and practice!
The end of July, when everyone’s gardens are over flowing with zucchini, is one of my favorite times of the year. My parents always grow a giant garden and some years, I think we had zucchini in a different form every night. Zucchini is so versatile and I have used it as pizza crust, in muffins and bread, fried, baked into fries, and everything in between, but I have to say that these tots are definitely one of my favorite preparations.
I made these Zucchini Tots countless times last summer, probably at least once a week! I just made them for the first time again last week and I can’t believe that I waited so long. I love these because they are so easy to make and they are so filling that they easily replace the starch component of your meal. They are great along side something from your grill or as a snack to go with a summer salad. If you don’t have a garden, then beg some from your neighbor, hit up a farmer’s market, or just pick some up from your favorite grocery store!
This recipe was originally a Weight Watcher’s Recipe, so it is definitely healthy! Even if you are not on a healthy diet, I promise you will love these Zucchini Tots. Crispy and crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and packed with zucchini and cheddar flavor!
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dry Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- After shredding your zucchini, lay out on a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle salt on it. Let it sit 15 minutes and then squeeze out as much water as you can. (The salt helps draw the moisture out)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in zucchini, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, and cheese. Add salt and pepper and stir well.
- Spray a 24 cup mini muffin with cooking spray and then put zucchini mixture in each cup. Press each cup down slightly to compress. Sprinkle each cup with just a few panko crumbs for some added crunch.
- Alternative Method: Shape heaping tablespoons of zucchini mixture into small football shapes. Place on a non-stick cooking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 16-20 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and desired crispiness. We like ours crispy so I usually do 20 minutes.
- If using the muffin pan, run a knife to loosen as soon as you get them out of the oven.
- Let cool for a minute and then remove from pan.Enjoy!