Even if you aren’t observing Lent, it is nice to serve your family meatless meals every so often! I love that so many people are turning to meatless Monday’s for dinner and I always try and cook a few vegetarian dishes each week.
I think most people are familiar with the ethnic dish Pierogi, but in case you aren’t, it is a pasta traditionally filled with potato and cheese. They are delicious sautéed in butter and onions! Homemade pierogi are definitely the best, but they are very time consuming to make. My Mom makes delicious homemade pierogi but they take all afternoon. This casserole gives you all the taste of pierogi, but without all the work of rolling out the dough and stuffing it! There are a few different steps involved with this dish, but you can purchase the microwaveable steam and mash potatoes to save yourself some time and a dirty pot!
This dish is great as a main course, but can also be served along side fish, pork chops, or chicken. It is definitely filling enough to stand alone though! I hope you try this next time you are looking for a meatless meal for your family! It is easy and cheesy! What more could you ask for?!
- 1 lb. extra wide egg noodles ( The flat ones, not curly!)
- 1 lb. white potatoes, peeled, cubed and then boiled until tender OR 1 bag of Ore-Ida Steam and Mash Frozen Potatoes, steamed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp. butter + more for mixing
- 1/2 cup milk+ more for mixing
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large 2 large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Three separate items need to be cooked. You can cook them all at once to avoid having one sit aside for too long.
- If using the steam and mash potatoes, cook according to directions. While they are cooking, boil your noodles but reduce cooking time by 4 minutes to avoid overcooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, prepare your onions by cooking in the 4 tbsp. of butter over medium heat until tender.
- Once potatoes are ready in the microwave, remove from microwave and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk, 1 cup of cheese, salt and pepper, and onion mixture to your potatoes. Mash using a large wooden spoon or a hand held potato masher. Mash until soft, but some chunks remain. You don't want a completely smooth texture.
- Add in your noodles and toss to coat. Taste for seasoning and add more if necessary. If mixture seems dry, add more milk and butter until the entire mixture is lightly coated. Place in casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake in your preheated oven for 25 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble. Serve immediately and enjoy!