It is so cold and icy here, so these Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pies from contributor Kirsten are sure to warm us up!
Chicken Pot Pies; warm, creamy roasted chicken and vegetable pot pies topped with crispy, flaky pastry. The perfect comfort food to warm up any night!
Well, I should be in the full swing of summer, but I am not…
See, I live in a city called Melbourne and it seems to be very confused about what temperatures it needs to provide to be summer.
Summer rain, I get…in fact, I like the hot humid tropical feel… what isn’t okay is below 10 degree nights that make you feel like you need the heater on (okay- I did put it on, just don’t tell my ‘Mr.just put a jumper on partner’ Do you guys know what a jumper is? I think it’s what you call a sweater. When you think about it… both words kinda suck)
Anyway, when I SHOULD be eating ice cream that is melting so fast that I can’t keep up with the creamy, sweetness dripping down the cone… I am dreaming of warm comfort food. Uh huh…
These pies are my ‘go to’ easy, mid week comfort WINTER food… they are so quick (and loved) that they are a regular on our plates. Like all good recipes, they were born out of childhood memories and laziness…
Mum use to buy these chicken vegie pies when I was a kid, which I LOVED… but they have nothing on these. And the laziness part? Well, I just couldn’t be bothered cutting chicken one day (I sanitize the kitchen after raw chicken like the Hazmat team has just found a deadly bacteria…) Did someone say germ phobia?! Anyone else have that problem??
If you want more recipes or giving you the latest Melbourne weather updates (jokes, I’ll whine about something else, but seriously tomorrow the weather will probably be like I am in the middle of the Sahara desert. At least it keeps you guessing!) come and say hi at Treat Yourself Sweeter!
You definitely have to check out these little pots of gold and then come find me on Pinterest!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek
- 250 grams shredded cooked roasted chicken (approximately 9 ounces) rotisserie works great!
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk (+ an extra tablespoon, see instructions)
- 1 medium-large carrot
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2-3 sheets puff pastry (depending on size of ramekins)
- Finely chop the leek and cook over a medium heat with the oil until soft and transluscent.
- Add the cornflour and stir until the leeks are well coated.
- Add the chicken stock and stir to create a thick sauce with no lumps of cornflour remaining.
- Add the milk and mix.
- Add the shredded chicken pieces, followed by the vegetables. Bring to a simmer and simmer til it thickens and then add the parsley and take off the heat.
- Line ramekins with puff pastry, spoon in chicken mixture and close by sealing with another sheet of puff pastry. Brush the top pastry with some milk (optional)
- Cook in a preheated oven of 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and golden
- Makes 4 small or 1 large pie
- Time: Prep- 15-20 minutes Cooking- 30 minutes