I have shared lots of zucchini recipes here on the blog but I am going to make a bold statement and say this one is definitely my favorite. Zucchini Parmesan was born out of my desire to eat eggplant parm all day everyday, despite my husband’s reluctance to eat it! I honestly don’t know what my obsession with eggplant is, but just this week, I have ordered it twice at restaurants. I love chicken parm, but would gladly take the eggplant variety any day.
So what does my eggplant obsession have to do with this meal? I was looking for a suitable substitute and didn’t have to look further than my family’s garden bursting with zucchini. Zucchini takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with so it is the perfect receptacle to be topped with marinara sauce and lots of cheese! Once lightly breaded and baked, it resembles the texture of my favorite purple vegetable. Despite the smattering of cheese, this recipe is on the lighter side because it is veggie based and baked. I try to cook our family a meatless meal at least twice a week, and this is definitely one of our favorites.
Zucchini is one of those vegetables that are so versatile. You can shred it and make zucchini tots (my blog’s most popular recipe!) cut it small and baked it into fries or toss it in a muffin with chocolate chips! Any way you cook it, it is so good, which makes it my go to veggie to use in the summer. Since moving, we don’t have a garden of our own, so I am always on the lookout for garden zucchini hand outs from friends and family!
- 3 medium sized zucchini, sliced into planks
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese (use the stuff you shred yourself!)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- Lay your zucchini planks on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 15 minutes to release some of the moisture. After the 15 minutes, wipe off water with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
- In a shallow dish combine your two breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- In a separate dish, put your two beaten eggs.
- Dip each plank into the eggs and then the breadcrumb mixture, coating evenly and completely.
- Once all planks are battered, lay on baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, turn each plank and then bake for another 5 minutes, keeping a close eye that they don't over brown.
- Remove from oven and push planks together or lay together in a casserole dish. Top with marinara down the center and the mozzarella cheese and other 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Return to the oven and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
- Serve immediately with paste or whatever you like and enjoy!