Ham and Asparagus Strata is the perfect blend of eggs, swiss cheese, and asparagus and bakes together for a delicious and hearty breakfast or brunch dish!
Ham and Asparagus Strata is the perfect weekend or holiday morning breakfast! I absolutely love breakfast and brunch dishes, but find that I never have many opportunities to make them. We rarely have guests over for breakfast so my Pinterest Breakfast and Brunch Board is the loneliest board I have! So many delicious recipes get pinned, but few ever get made!
Recently, I needed a breakfast casserole recipe and remembered this delicious Ham and Asparagus Strata that I had made years ago. When we first had our daughter, we hosted Christmas morning at our very small and tiny home. We had my parents and grandmother over and I served a delicious asparagus strata. That was over five years ago and I now can’t find that recipe, but I sought out to recreate it! Thankfully, I have a pretty good memory when it comes to food!
If you have never had a strata, it is basically a frittata but with a layer of bread on the bottom. After an overnight soak in the fridge, the bread disintegrates into a perfect light and fluffy texture. I added red peppers to this recipe and I think it was a great addition!
There is so much flavor in this dish and the swiss cheese adds the perfect tang. This strata has ham in it and if you have leftover ham from Easter or Christmas, this is the perfect way to use some up! If you don’t have any ham, you could definitely leave it out. While the ham adds great flavor and texture, this strata is definitely filling enough with just the veggies and the bread to make it meatless.
This Ham and Asparagus Strata is the perfect Mother’s Day brunch recipe and since you make it the night before, it also works for a special weekend breakfast! You won’t be slaving over the stove in the morning, since all the work happens the night before! After a bake in the oven, you have the most delicious combination of veggies, egg, and cheese, all hot and bubbly!
- 1 lb of thin fresh asparagus sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound of cooked ham cubed
- 1/2 loaf of Italian or French bread cubed, about 2 cups
- 1 red pepper diced small
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- 8 eggs
- 6 slices of swiss cheese
- 1 tsp . salt
- 1/2 tsp . pepper
- 3 green onions diced
- Lay the bread cubes on the bottom of a 8 by 11 casserole dish. Layer ham, asparagus, then red pepper over top. (Note: you want to use very thin asparagus in order to avoid having to steam it first. If you cannot find thin, steam first for 2-3 minutes)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over top of the bread layers.
- Lay the six slices of cheese over top of the casserole.
- Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate over night, or for at least two hours.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees. While oven is preheating, set casserole dish on the counter to warm up.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with green onions.
Looking for more make ahead breakfasts?