Pizza is such a great food, isn’t it? You can make it in the traditional form, roll it up in a stromboli, or make it light and crispy in this version here. It’s so versatile and always appeals to everyone, adults and kids.
I made these Baked Pizza Roll Ups for lunch one afternoon and I could tell they were going to be great, but after taking a couple bites, what I was most excited to find was that these had the taste of Pizza Hut breadsticks!! As a kid, Pizza Hut was one of my favorite places to eat. Did your school have the “Book It” program? It was a great program where if you read a designated amount of books, you got a free pizza certificate. I loved going there and enjoying my free pizza, but usually the highlight of the meal was their delicious breadsticks. While there is no bread involved in these roll ups, the sprinkle of garlic and cheese on top really take these over the edge and give them that distinct bread stick taste.
I used part-skim mozzarella sticks and turkey pepperoni for these and I really recommend those even if you aren’t trying to eat light! By using these two ingredients, you reduce the amount of grease, which allows these to get nice and crispy! If you want to throw caution to the wind and go with the full fat stuff, go for it! I’m sure you can’t go wrong!
These could be eaten as an appetizer, a light lunch, or dinner with a salad on the side. I have been thinking up some other combinations…peppers and onions, ham and cheese, or margherita pizza! These could so easily be adapted into really delicious combinations! I hope you try these next time you are craving pizza! After making them once, I guarantee you will be hooked just like we are!
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 12 part-skim mozzarella cheese sticks, unwrapped
- 1 package turkey pepperoni
- Parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- cooking spray
- Pizza or Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray a baking sheet liberally with cooking spray. Lay your wonton flat on your counter and lay three slices of pepperoni down the middle. Place cheese stick over the pepperoni and then roll as directed below.
- Fold edges in and then fold the edge that is facing you into two triangles like you are wrapping a present.
- Flip those triangle pieces over.
- Then just roll!
- Spray tops of rolls with cooking spray and then sprinkle each once with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown and starting to crisp on the top. Flip each roll and then return to the oven for 4-6 minutes. Watch closely so that the edges don't burn. Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional cheese. Serve immediately with warm sauce! Enjoy!!