Looking for a new side dish? This Bacon and Roasted Corn Potato Salad is anything but traditional and is full of flavor!
Pregnancy cravings always seem so silly in movies. Pregnant women shoving pickles and ice cream into their mouths for days on end? An insatiable appetite for really weird combinations? It all seems so silly in movies, but I am here to say that these cravings are no joke! While I don’t have a hankering for pickles or for oddly combined foods, my likes and dislikes have definitely changed during this pregnancy.
Some of my favorite foods I can’t stomach, and some food that I wasn’t previously a fan of, are my new favorites. Which leads me to bacon. I was never the biggest bacon fan. I didn’t mind it, but I would never order it at breakfast, incorporate it as a star in a dish, or go out of my way to eat it. Well things, have changed. I LOVE bacon now! I actually ordered my first ever bacon cheeseburger a few weeks ago and it was lovely. I am now actively seeking out sandwiches on menus with bacon on it, which I would have never done before.
When I offered to bring a side dish to my sister in laws for Father’s Day, I first offered to make pasta salad, one of my old stand bys. But then I saw this recipe come up in my feed from Averie Cooks, and I knew that this would be a much better side dish salad! I adapted my recipe from hers and I think it turned out great. I am not usually a fan of goopy mayo-y potato salads, but I really loved this one. I roasted my corn to give it additional flavor and texture. Corn pairs so well with bacon, so it was just a natural combination.
This salad is so colorful and full of fresh flavors and would be perfect for any summer picnics! This Bacon and Roasted Corn Potato Salad can be served warm or cold and can be even be made the day before. Serve this up for your 4th of July Picnic and you will have some happy and full guests!
- 6-8 medium gold potatoes, cleaned and cut into cubes, about 2-3 lbs
- 2 tsp. of salt for boiling the water
- 1 lb. of bacon
- 1 cup of corn, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 1/2 red onion, diced fine
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Place your cubed potatoes into a large pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Add salt to the pot. Cover the pot and bring potatoes to a boil. Boil until fork tender and then drain well.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook your bacon. I prefer to cook mine in the oven. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and then place a cooling rack on top. Put the bacon on top of the cooling rack and bake until crispy, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and drain all but 1 tbsp. of the bacon grease.
- Add corn to the sheet pan with the bacon grease and return to the oven. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until corn starts to brown.
- While corn is cooking, crumble your bacon. In a large bowl add potatoes, red onions, green onions, bacon, and salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. When corn is done, add corn to the bowl as well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and sugar. When well combined, pour over the potato salad.
- Serve either immediately warm, or refrigerate a few hours and then serve.
Love this recipe and want to save it? Pin It!