Nutella Raspberry Crumble Cake; Chocolate, sweet raspberries and a melt in the mouth cake… all in one bowl.
Not everything in life makes sense (or seems fair)… for instance, the fact that I had to clean the whole house AGAIN or that my hair slightly resembles a ratty lion’s mane when it air dries (true story)…
But then there are those few things in life make sense…
Chocolate and coconut, PB and banana, caramel and well, anything… and Nutella and raspberry. Who is with me??
This cake is a version of an old recipe that my Mum had written down on a scrap of paper, just how good recipes begin. Over time, I have changed and adapted it and I couldn’t even tell you where the original came from. It had apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, sultanas…. clearly nothing like this little beauty!
I love this recipe for SO many reasons (I mean, Nutella and raspberry….) but one of my most favourite things is that you only need one bowl… one beautiful bowl, one spoon…. almost no mess… (remember, me… cleaning… everything. I think there must be a real medical problem that has something to do with leaving dirty dishes everywhere, un rinsed..)
You can use a bowl and the microwave to melt the butter to make this, or if you are like me and your microwave is broken and although you KNOW it really should be given a respectful burial… you like to live life on the edge and you use it, sometimes… while holding your breath and your finger over the power point, you know… just in case it starts a fire (shamefully… another true story!) You can use a large saucepan- melt the butter and then add all the dry ingredients.
This is the kind of cake you can make at the last minute in a dash and it is PERFECT for lunch boxes (for both kids and big kids 😉
Oh, one more thing that makes sense… us becoming Facebook friends… come and find me!
- 6 oz butter- melted
- 6 oz raw sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 2 cups sifted self raising flour (I use Australian cup sizes, which are slightly bigger- if in US, I suggest adding 1 large extra tablespoon of flour)
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius (approximately 340 Fahrenheit)
- Melt the butter and then add the sugar, eggs and flour. Mix together until a dough forms.
- Press ¾ of the dough into a lined 9 inch round tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the coconut in with the remaining dough.
- After 15 minutes, take from the oven and spread the Nutella over the base, followed by the raspberries.
- Crumble the remaining dough on top evenly- it does not need to cover completely, it will spread as it cooks.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the crumble is puffed up and golden.
- Take from the oven and cool. Serve warm or cold and store left overs in a sealed container.