I figured that I wouldn’t ‘see’ you lovely people before Halloween comes and goes so this is my Australian version of a Halloween snack… don’t judge me … we don’t really do Halloween here. Caramel, pretzels, popcorn… it’s what I’ll be snacking on in front of the TV!
See… I’ve seen the biscuits that look like bloodied fingers, eye balls, spiders… worms and it-is-gross! They definitely look cool, but… how do you eat it?! Some of the stuff on Pinterest (psst, you can find me -> here!) looks so amazingly real. Hats off to all those creative, amazing people!
I remember watching the Halloween movies as a kid… they were on TV all weekend, but when it came to the idea of actually Trick or Treating… No-Go! My parents… in fact, it seemed like all adults in Australia united and said ‘no’. One year when my sister was about 12 (I was older and too cool) my Mum caved and said she could go with a neighbour… I think the success rate was 1 in 5. AKA, they went to 10 houses… two successes, ours and our neighbour’s. Hehe. You could call her a pioneer because now it is beginning to become popular.
I love Halloween, for a different reason though. See I have my own Grinch … he hates door knocking Halloween kidlets and this = a guaranteed dinner and night out! Well, at least until 9.30pm when he is sure all the kiddies are home!
With that said, last year we didn’t go out… the door knocked… we had nothing prepped… I felt bad and started to be the bearer of bad news to my little ghost and ghoul friends. Grinchy then jumped into ‘save the day’ mode… turned the cupboard upside down to find some treats… perhaps he is softening… maybe I should leave circled catalogues around?! I want this… and this… and…
Psst.. if you want a healthier snack, check out my Chocolate Goji Berry Protein Bliss Balls… or if you are a pretzel loving, popcorn cruncher (like me) you might like my Peanut Butter Chocolate Pretzels and Caramel Apple Popcorn Balls.
I’d love to hear about your Halloween foodie traditions… what do you always make? A friend wants to have a party this year… I’d love some ideas, leave me a comment below. I know that I will be bringing this Caramel Pretzel Popcorn for sure!
Caramel Pretzel Popcorn
*Please note that I have converted this recipe to ounces from grams (what we use here) Grams are a little more specific than ounces so I have approximated the measurements. You can probably round to the nearest whole ounce*
- ½ cup popping corn- air popped (approx. 3.5 oz)
- 4.2 oz butter
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar (approx. 4 oz)
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 3/4 cups pretzels pieces
- 10.5 oz chocolate covered almonds
- Pop the corn in a popcorn machine. If you don’t have one, pop on the stove using some oil and the directions on packet. Put popped corn in a large bowl and discard the unpopped pieces. Add the pretzels.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter, sugar and honey. Mix until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved. Bring to a boil and let it boil, uncovered until it begins to change to a darker caramel colour, usually about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour over the popcorn and pretzels and mix well until all is covered.
- Spread on a tray and allow to cool. When cooled, break up and then add the chocolate covered almonds. Mix well. Store in an airtight container. Too easy!