Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls are a take on the traditional stuffed cabbages, but so much easier! You will love this easy, healthy dinner recipe!
These Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls are definitely winner winner, easy dinner! Sometimes I pin a recipe or see one on Facebook and it takes me months (or sometimes forever) to make it. When I saw these unstuffed cabbage rolls though, I promptly bought the ingredients and made it two days later. I don’t know what the hurry was, but as soon as I saw it, I immediately wanted to make it.
I’m so glad that I jumped right on this recipe though because it was so good. My husband has been on the fence about cabbage and this recipe finally brought him over to my side. The side that believes cabbage is delicious, and crunchy but soft, and just perfect in so many ways. I tweaked this recipe though so it was more reminiscent of the cabbage rolls that my Mom makes. Her’s are my favorite and are stuffed with lots of rice, a little meat, and then cooked in a seasoned tomato sauce. I know that many other cultures make theirs differently, and while I have been coming around to those that are more meat heavy, I am still partial to my Mom’s recipe.
These unstuffed cabbage rolls taste almost like hers, but take so much less time. This took about 45 minutes, and 30 minutes of those were cooking time. You basically dump it all in a pot and let the tomato sauce do it’s magic by softening up the cabbage. When cooking anything like this, I absolutely swear by my cast iron enamel pans. I have had this one for years and it still looks brand new. It cooks soups, stews, and sauces so evenly and really helps prevent burning!
We all really enjoyed these and I will be continuing to make it well into the summer months! Looking for another easy dinner casserole recipe? Try my favorite chicken tortilla skillet bake!
If you are a fan of Stuffed Cabbages, or Pigs in a Blanket, or Halupki (whatever you want to call it!) then you will love this no fuss and no roll recipe!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup of precooked brown rice (the steam in bags work great for this)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15- 20 or until cabbage is tender. Add the precooked rice and stir well. Recover pot and cook for another 10 minutes. Add more seasoning if desired.
Recipe adapted from HERE
This post contains affiliate links. These links are used at no cost to you but help me keep this blog free and up and running!