This post has been written as part of a collaboration with Better Body Foods. As always, all opinions are my own.
My husband dropped a bomb on me last week. He spoke words that I find extremely offensive. He told me that he wants to eat more protein and less carbs. He said my cooking is on the carb heavy side (of course it is, who doesn’t love pasta?!) Seriously, he wants to eliminate carbs? I could barely believe his audacity…but being the good wife that I am, I listened, and then responded with this Gluten Free Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. I am going to sit over here and eat my spaghetti, but if he is looking for some healthier options, then who am I to say no!? When planning this recipe, I set out to create something that was grain-free to keep it on the low carb side, full of protein, and delicious!
I am going to be honest and tell you that making this bread was definitely out of my comfort zone. I have never baked with grain free flour and threw away two batches of this bread before I had the texture right. I combined two types of grain free flours, coconut flour and almond flour, to achieve a dense, chewy bread texture. I learned along the way that a little coconut flour goes a long way and that is really absorbs a lot of moisture, so you will end up using more eggs or liquid than you normally do. I used Better Body Food´s new coconut flour from Walmart in this recipe and I loved the slightly nutty coconut flavor that it adds!
In order to increase the nutritional value of this recipe even more, I added in vitamin packed pumpkin, which goes so well in just about anything this time of year!
I used delicious local honey and chocolate chips to sweeten this up, but if you wanted to make this dairy free as well, you could use dairy free chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, or whatever you have on hand! You could also replace the honey with agave nectar or maple syrup, whichever you prefer. This recipe works well with any paleo or clean eating diet, but doesn’t sacrifice on taste or sweetness!
So did this satisfy my carb-eliminating husband´s sweettooth? Let´ś just say that I came home tonight to only half a loaf left, so I would say it is a success! Try this Gluten Free Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread if you are trying to eat less carbs or are looking for a sweet treat to fit into your special diet!
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- scant 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. flavorless oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or nuts
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a non loaf pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment.
- In a bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, oil, pumpkin, and liquid sweetener of choice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix very well until it is all equally combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in loaf pan, then run a knife around the edges of the pan, and gently flip upside down onto a plate.
- Store in the refrigerator, wrapped in foil, for up to a week.