Baked Garlic Parmesan Herb Fries are freshly cut potatoes, baked until crispy, and then sprinkled with fresh garlic and herbs and shredded Parmesan cheese.
It’s a joyous day in our house…I have finally found a potato that my daughter likes!! It has been a long few years of having rice and pasta as a side dish for every meal in our home. We have tried so many different types of potatoes, but she just isn’t a fan. Sometimes this makes me doubt that she is my daughter, but her love for pasta matches, if not exceeds mine, so that makes up for it!
wasn’t ready to give up though on my quest to get her to like a potato. She will occasionally eat french fries, although they certainly aren’t her favorite. I recently had the bright idea to combine her absolute favorite food though with fries, parmesan cheese. This girl loves parmesan cheese more than you can even imagine. At restaurants, she asks for a bowl of it to have as an appetizer. At dinner time, she insists on me opening up the lid of the container so she can have cheese balls on her spaghetti and not just a light sprinkle. Anytime I buy the wedge of parmesan cheese and shred it, she grabs the entire wedge from me and happily chews off bites. Sometime kids like cheese sticks, she likes imported parmesan cheese wedges. What can I say? She has good taste in cheese!
Baked Garlic Parmesan Herb Fries
So what happened when I put garlic and freshly shredded parmesan cheese onto crispy oven baked fries? She loved them! She even asked for me to make them again a few nights later, which was a big surprise because she normally begs me to make rice every night. I was happy to oblige because Ryan and I love these fries too! This last batch got extra crispy, and with the addition of fresh herbs from my garden, they were absolutely delicious.
The preparation is really easy here, but I really recommend using a french fry cutter to get evenly shaped fries. You can certainly free hand them with a knife, but uneven fries won’t cook as evenly and some may crisp up in the oven before others cook all the way through. You can use the cutter for other veggies too like zucchini, to create zucchini fries, one of my favorite side dishes!
These Baked Garlic Parmesan Herb fries are the perfect side dish for potato lovers and non potato lovers! I have made these three times in the last week and I imagine that we will be enjoying them all summer as well!
- 6 medium sized russet potatoes, cut into fries
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese (use a wedge and shred, don't use the canned stuff)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. of fresh herbs (I used rosemary, basil, and parsley, but use what you have or like!)
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spread olive oil evenly across a large sized baking pan.
- Arrange cut fries into a single layer on the baking sheet. Toss to coat in the oil.
- Salt and then put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip potatoes to the other side. Use a metal spatula for easier flipping.
- Return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until fries are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and put into a bowl. Sprinkle minced garlic, parmesan cheese, and herbs over the fries. Toss to evenly distribute. Serve immediately.
Pin this recipe for later!