I don’t know about you, but for as much as I love fall, I am already missing the lazy days of summer. While I love the crisp temperatures, fall festivals, and beautiful foliage, I miss slower paced days with no responsibilities! Now that September is nearly over, I think everyone is in the thick of things…school days, homework, sports practice, dance lessons, and everything else that this busy time of the year entails. But you know what never changes, no matter the season or how busy you are? The fact that we all need to eat! Go here for lots of great back to school effortless meals!
I love a complicated recipe that I can really sink my teeth into to, but I find that this time of the year calls for quick and effortless dinners. These Baked BBQ Chicken Roll Ups fit the bill perfectly. They start with a fully cooked store-bought rotisserie chicken, take only 5 ingredients to make, bake for less than 10 minutes, and are perfectly rounded out with a Marketside side dish from Walmart´s deli, like potato salad or cole slaw.
They even offer a Marketside meal deal where you can get a rotisserie chicken plus a 2 lb side dish and a 2 liter Coca-Coca product! My store had a sign advertising this effortless meal deal which makes it even easier to find the products! (See photo collage at the end of the post to see what I am talking about!) I purchased some cole slaw to go with our meal because we love the combination of BBQ and coleslaw. I love the tanginess of coleslaw with the sweetness of bbq sauce!
So back to these Baked BBQ Chicken Roll Ups. These are so simple and so good. They are made special by the addition of sweet banana peppers. They give these an extra zing that takes them from ordinary to really delicious. If you aren´t a banana pepper fan, you can instead use red onion. Or want some spicy flavors? Use diced jalapeño peppers! I very rarely repeat meals, but I have actually made these twice in the last month. Once for a quick dinner, and again for a Saturday afternoon lunch when we had to get out of the house right after eating.
I like to serve these with some extra BBQ sauce for dipping, but sour cream tastes delicious too, if you are a fan!
Another benefit to these? They are great frozen! Individually freeze them and pull them out whenever you need them! They reheat perfectly in the oven or toaster oven. These Baked BBQ Chicken Roll Ups are seriously effortless and make dinner time easy while we get back into the swing of things with school schedules.
- 2 chicken breasts, from a rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced sweet banana peppers, jalapenos, or red onion
- 8 medium sized flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add your shredded chicken, bbq sauce, cheese, and peppers to a bowl.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Lay a tortilla flat and spoon about 3 tbsp. of chicken mixture down the middle. Starting on one side, roll the tortilla up and place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Once all tortillas are rolled, spray with cooking spray on top to help crisp them up.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve hot with more bbq sauce, sour cream or ranch dressing. Enjoy!
- To freeze: Place roll ups in a freezer safe bag, with each roll covered in plastic wrap, so they can be puled out individually. When ready to eat, pull out from freezer, and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and hot in the middle.
I hope you try this effortless meal sometime soon for your family! If you are even shorter on time, Walmart offers delicious Marketside Take and Bake Pizzas, too! I would love to hear some of your effortless meal ideas! Do you love rotisserie chicken too? You seriously can´t beat the convenience!
It is easy to pick up all the things you need for your effortless meal at Walmart! Be sure to check out more delicious effortless meal ideas here!