Looking for a quick, one pot dinner for your Mexican food loving family? Then this One Pan Chicken Tortilla Casserole is the perfect easy dinner for you!
I have a terrible habit of trying new meals that we end up loving, and then never making them again. I do it all the time. Make something we love, then promptly forget about it. Before I started blogging, I never wrote any recipes down, and when I do have a recipe for something, I very loosely follow it. So I usually have no record of dinners we liked, which means lots of delicious meals get left in the dust. Recently I remembered this One Pan Chicken Tortilla Casserole that we had for dinner a few times when we lived in our old house. I was so excited when I remembered it, because we had loved this dinner! It only dirties one pan, is quick to make, and everyone enjoys it, even the three year old!
I love how the tortillas cook down in this meal and the texture resembles a corn tortilla in an enchilada. I really recommend using multi-grain tortillas in this skillet, not because it makes it any healthier, but just because they seem to have a better texture when cooked. I also used a rotisserie chicken to make this even faster, but you could also brown your chicken strips, remove them from the pan, and then add the chicken back into the rest of the ingredients. Since this meals get completed under the broiler, make sure to use an oven safe skillet. I prefer to use a big stainless steel skillet/saute pan for this meal like this one! (and that is a great price for that skillet!)
I also love that this is a complete meal. You have protein, dairy, veggies, and a starch, so no need to make a side dish! That always help when trying to get dinner on the table quickly. And to be honest, my motivation for cooking lately has really been wavering, so I love how low-maintenance this dinner is. I am going to do my best not to forget about it again…which luckily, I have the blog to help me remember it! I have recently resurrected a couple other old favorites that I can´t wait to share with you guys in the next couple of months!
- 2 chicken breasts, either shredded from a rotisserie chicken or you could use raw, cut into strips
- 1 4 oz. can mexican tomato sauce (I like El Pato brand)
- 10 oz can of corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 5 cups of multi grain tortilla chips, crushed into large pieces
- 1 large tomato, diced and then divided in half
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 3 tbsp. green onions, diced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your broiler to high heat.
- If you are using raw chicken, heat an oven safe skillet to medium high heat, drizzle in the oil, then add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and red peppers to the skillet and cook until they start to tenderize, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, half the tomato, chicken stock, cooked chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder and half the tortilla chips to the skillet.
- Let cook until the liquid is absorbed into the tortilla chips.
- Add remaining chips and cheese and place under the broiler. Broil for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Top with green onions and remaining tomato and serve immediately.
Looking for more easy Mexican dinners?
Recipe adapted from: Annies-Eats.com
Post Contains Affiliate Links