Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls have all the delicious Tex-Mex flavors that your family loves, but without all of the calories!
Oops…third Mexican recipe in a row here. I am apparently on a Mexican bender and I just don’t care. Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop. Honestly, is there anything more delicious than a great Mexican flavored dinner? Nope, nothing is better. Did you miss last week’s Enchilada Meatballs? If so, run on over there and check out that recipe!
Not only is it a Mexican kick, but apparently a fajita kick as well! Last week I shared these delicious but healthy stuffed fajita chicken breasts and this week, these chicken bowls! These bowls are hearty, flavorful, and healthy, all while being delicious and family friendly! These are so easy and customizable too, so if you have kids with certain tastes, you can swap out any of the ingredients. I used poblano peppers in our bowls and they are my absolute favorite pepper to cook with. They aren’t spicy, but have a wonderful smoky flavor. You can find them at just about any grocery store too!
We love Mexican and Tex Mex flavors in our house and I am pretty confident that you can shove just about anything in a taco and get my daughter to eat it! You can only be so creative with tacos though, so I am always trying to find other ways to get the same taco flavors in our dinner but in different forms. I called these naked tacos and she was sold, once she stopped giggling about dinner being naked, of course!
You can really keep the prep time to a minimum here by using those easy steam in bag rice packets! Make sure to get the plain white or brown varieties though or else you are adding a lot of unnecessary sodium to your dinner. By using those rice packets, you’ll only dirty one pan, and everyone loves an easy clean up dinner!
We have really been trying to eat healthier since the New Year and I love that we can still have delicious Mexican dinners and not have to sacrifice on flavor! These Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls will definitely be going into the regular dinner rotation at our house!
- 4 chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 tbsp. fajita seasoning
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Additional optional ingredients: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa
- Preheat a skillet to medium high heat and add oil. Sprinkle chicken, onions, and peppers with half the fajita seasoning.
- When skillet is hot, add the chicken, peppers, and onions. Cook until 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove all ingredients from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add corn and black beans. Add the remaining fajita seasoning. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the beans and corn are warmed through.
- To assemble your bowl, fill with rice and then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired.