This Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup is delicious, easy, and best of all, takes less than 2o minutes!
I say this all the time, but I love fall. The crisp temperatures, the changing leaves, and most importantly, the fall food! It is that time of the year when we can eat all the apple and pumpkin desserts! I have some favorite fall recipes here on the blog like these Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls or the reader favorite Apple Pie Pinwheel cookies. Unfortunately, we cannot live on dessert alone, so this is the perfect time to pull out your favorite soup recipes!
I love making soups in the fall and winter and am always excited to find a new recipe that we love. This Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup tastes just like the enchilada soup at Chili’s. While that certainly isn’t my favorite restaurant, we go there sometimes for their soup, salad, and chips lunch combo. I always order the enchilada soup and this recipe is a dead wringer for their version!
Besides being delicious, this soup has some other great perks. I got home late after a last minute doctors appointment for our baby, and was still able to put this soup together in less than 20 minutes, that includes cook time, too! The only prep work required is the chopping of the onion and the garlic and the shredding of the cheese. While I love making soup, I don’t love chopping all the veggies that most soups require. Don’t take a short cut and buy pre-shredded cheese though please! Bagged cheese is coated in wax to keep it from sticking together, and it just doesn’t melt well. Shredding the cheese yourself is better in almost any recipe!
I also used a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. I only used the white meat, but if you like dark meat, feel free to use that as well! Most of this soup’s ingredients are pantry staples, but it does call for masa harina, which is Mexican corn flour. It is what you use to make corn tortillas, tamales, etc. This flour gives the soup it’s thick and creamy texture, so don’t skip it! I live in a small town with a population of about 10 Hispanic people, and our Walmart still carries this flour, so I am sure you can find it!
Try this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup soon! It is perfect these falling temperatures and so quick for busy school nights!
- 2 cups of white meat chicken, shredded
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1 20 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1 7 oz. can green chiles
- 1 14 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (shred yourself, don't buy preshredded!)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder or more if you prefer spicy food
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4. tsp pepper
- Garnish: tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, etc.
- Heat your olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic cloves and cook another minute.
- Add half the chicken broth and then whisk in the masa harina. Add the remaining chicken broth and stir.
- Add the chicken, enchilada sauce, green chilis, black beans and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Let cook 5 minutes or until pot starts to simmer. Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and add your shredded cheese, stirring as you go. Let cook another 5 minutes or until everything melts. You can either serve now or let simmer. Keep the heat very low and stir frequently so the soup doesn't stick to the bottom. Check for seasonings and add more as desired.
- Serve with garnishes and enjoy!
Recipe Slightly Adapted from: Gimme Some Oven
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin It!