Pumpkin Cauliflower Fritters; cheesy fritters that are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Perfect by themselves with veggies or salad and awesome as a veggie burger
Welcome monthly contributor Kirsten back again this month sharing a delicious and healthy dinner idea!
Have you ever sat down to a plate for two… and ate it all?
Please tell me that I am not alone… because, I just did that. Yeah, the whole thing… a whole plate of these.
My week has consisted of chocolate for breakfast… every day. Yup… read it again, every…day. Not the kind that I usually munch down in the version of chocolate protein powder and cacao nibs… but the hard, smooth, creamy, can’t get enough of or say no to kinda stuff…
I figured that this would be a reasonable pattern to uphold while I was on holidays and until I ran out of Easter chocolate. Well, there is nothing like shocking you out of your happy place by tripping over the scales (you could say they attacked me…) you jump on them, because it can’t be ‘that bad’ (which it actually was…) and then it is like the TV is against you and ALL the ads you see are about fitness, health… the gym.
Ergh, way to bring a girl down 😉
So … the question I am SURE you all have is: have you stopped having chocolate for breakfast?? My answer: I am no quitter 😉 and besides, I still have 2 little eggs and a bunny left… they will be upset if they don’t join their friends!
What I wanted to say next is…What I AM doing is getting back into delicious, healthified and light dinners. If I am being completely honest though… I bought a new couch, it was on sale… expensive still, but on sale and I fell in love. Being on self-induced shopping restrictions, pumpkin and cauliflower was the only thing in the fridge and let me say…
It made something amazing! The family was super happy and I couldn’t believe how quickly these left the plate…
I serve these with a garlic aioli and salad (find 21 AMAZING salad recipes here)… so good! You know what else would be fabulous? If you joined me on Facebook, I’d love to see you there! (oh and if you want a healthy dessert, check out these Skinny Coconut and Mango Frozen Bars)
- 3 1/2 cups peeled pumpkin (diced into 1cm cubes)
- 3 cups (approx.1/2 head of medium sized) cauliflower (including stalks)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 small-medium eggs
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 F)
- Place pumpkin on a lined tin and drizzle with olive oil, roast for 20 minutes or until soft.
- While the pumpkin is cooking, chop the cauliflower and place in a food processor with the basil. Pulse until the cauliflower is chopped and resembles fine rice. Set aside.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked, place in the food processor with the cauliflower, cottage cheese, parmesan. Pulse in the food processor again until the pumpkin is chopped and all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the eggs, potato flour, pepper and garlic salt. Mix in the food processor until the mixture is well mixed and (mostly) smooth.
- Heat a non stick pan with some olive oil over a medium heat and place large tablespoons of mixture in the pan. Don't make the fritters too big or put them too close together in the pan as they can be tricky to flip.
- Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes each side or until golden. Flip gently- if they are not ready to flip, they will easily fall apart. Remove and allow to cool slightly.