So I was worried when I posted this brussel sprout recipe. I thought perhaps I was the only person on earth who truly loved those delicious little cabbages. But I was wrong! You guys liked it! Perhaps it is because I added bacon,which makes everything delicious, or maybe you just are a veggie fan, too. I really hope it is the latter because I have another sprout recipe for you today. While I love the bacon and cranberry version, I don’t always have those two ingredients on hand. But parmesan cheese and panko? I am always fully stocked in those departments.
I always try to include a veggie with our meals, even if it is just a steam in bag of broccoli in the microwave. Unfortunately, the vegetable becomes an afterthought and it is not the most exciting part of the meal. What I love about this side dish is that it doesn’t require any effort but it tastes much better than my microwaved bag of broccoli and takes the same amount of time. You really only need three ingredients too, besides the seasonings and oil. I like to use the italian seasoned Panko for these because they are extra crunchy and have lots of delicious flavor.
The procedure is super simple here and makes for a quick side dish that is ready start to finish in half an hour. Once you cut your sprouts, you just toss them all together with the other ingredients and throw them in the oven. You could also follow all the directions and then toss them on the grill either wrapped in foil or on a grill pan. They would still get nice and crispy on the outside but soft in the inside like they do in the oven.
I love these Panko and Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts and they will make lots of appearances on our dinner table over the next couple of months!!
- 1 lb. fresh brussel sprouts, stems removed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated or from a canister
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cut brussel sprouts, olive oil, half of the parmesan and all of the panko. Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. I went heavy on the garlic and light on the salt and pepper because the panko is seasoned.
- Lay in a single layer on a non stick baking sheet.
- Put in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the edges start to get brown. Remove from oven and stir.
- Return to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes. They are done when the insides are soft but the outside is brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and toss with remaining parmesan cheese. Taste and add more seasonings if desired. Enjoy!